Linux Installer (Intel Hardware)
Mac OS X 10.4 Installer (OS X 10.4 and Later on G3, G4, G5, & Intel)
Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista Installer (Intel Hardware)
Source Bundle (Forthcoming)
- Download the installer (an exe file).
- Run the installer.
- A program group called "Fluorit" will be made in your Start Menu.
- Download the disk image (a .dmg file).
- It should open automatically. If not, double-click the downloaded file.
- Go to the Finder.
- Drag the "Fluorit" application from the volume called "Fluorit-0.9-osx-10.4-FAT" to your Applications folder.
- Start the "Fluorit" application by double-clicking it.
Linux (Ubuntu/Gnome) Instructions
General Linux administrator instructions are below.
- Make a folder in your home directory called "Programs".
- Download the tar file to your Desktop (the default location for Firefox on Ubuntu).
- Double-click the downloaded .tar file. It should open under the "Archive Manager". It may take a second for "Archive Manager" to examine the contents. You may be able to combine Steps 2 and 3 with Firefox using the "Open with [Archive Manager (default)]" option.
- Drag the folder inside Archive Manager (called something like "Fluorit-0.9-linux-i386") to the newly created "Programs" folder in your home directory.
- Open the newly created "Programs" directory and then open the folder that you just dragged into it (e.g. "Fluorit-0.9-linux-i386").
- Find the file named "Fluorit" inside that folder and move it to your "Applications" panel in an open place. Note there is also a big icon file named "Fluorit.png". Don't pick that one! You want the one named only "Fluorit".
- A "Create Launcher" dialog will open. Type a meaningful name in the "Name:" entry, for example you might name the launcher "Fluorit".
- The default icon for a launcher is a spring board. You can change this icon by
- clicking on the spring board
- clicking on the "Browse..." button in the dialog that opens
- in the "Browse" dialog, navigating to your home folder -> Programs -> the new Fluorit folder inside (NOT the "mpl-data" folder inside the folder you want!)
- click "Open" in the "Browse" dialog
- select the "Fluorit.png" icon file
- click "OK" in the "Create Launcher" dialog
Linux Instructions for Administrators
- Download the tar file to your home folder.
- Unpack it to your hard drive in a logical place. E.g.:
sudo tar xvf ~/Desktop/Fluorit-0.9-linux-i386.tar
- Create a link in your favorite "bin" directory
sudo ln -s /usr/local/Fluorit-0.9-linux-i386/Fluorit Fluorit
- Help users to put application launchers in their panels or desktops or desktop menus.